Monday, February 8, 2010

February's Project - Star Chenille Quilt


This project was a class I took based upon a pattern for a raw edge or rag quilt by Back Door Quilts.

It is the quintessential cozy lap quilt, made with homespun flannels (softer than regular flannel, usually in more primitive, "homey" colors and prints). A rag quilt is one that is sewn with the raw edges/seam allowances exposed, which is then cut to form a soft fringe. The combination of the soft flannel and the fringe gives it the "chenille" name. It is EASY to put together. Super, super easy. If you are looking to try your hand at quilting, this is an excellent project with which to start. (Although it's really unlike actual quilting and piecing, so maybe I'm wrong on that one.) Your quilting is done as you go, so once the rectangular blocks are sewn together, and you've cut the fringe and washed it - you're done!

Construction is this easy: Fabric is cut into rectangles, two of the same for each square. At the same time, you cut your quilt batting into rectangles. Layer the fabric and batting so that you have a sandwich with the right side of each fabric facing out, and pin together. Quilt your square (the pattern calls for a primitive star, I used a simple "X"). Lay out the quilted blocks in the pattern you want, then sew them together with a 1/2" seam allowance. Instead of opening and pressing the seam, you keep it together and have it all exposed on the front of the quilt. Once your blocks are all together - cut the seams to make a "fringe." Wash and dry a few times and you have a finished quilt. (Warning: can wreak havoc on washer/dryer, so if you aren't confident in yours - laundromat?)

I'll admit, I chose this one first because I thought I'd be able to finish it quickly. I was totally throwing myself a softball.

Then I started ... and remembered why I stopped. The blister on my right ring finger.

The sewing on this one is complete. To finish it - I just have to cut the fringe and wash/dry it a couple of times. In order to avoid more blisters, I could buy a bigger and better pair of scissors. Or I can do what I have been doing and just do a little at a time. I'm finding it's good to do it while I'm watching tv. Believe me, it's enough to get its own month devoted to it.

In the end, though - I will have a completed quilt. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment